Friday, February 02, 2007

Fucking tired

I'm still not on Finish time yet. Lame. I had a nice long chat with Mika Kaurismaki the other night. He made me understand something about America, and film goers. He said, or my wife said as it were, that "American audiences, they go see a handful of foreign films, and they think that they have seen enough." That, that clicked for me. I've spent some time on the internets, and I've always been frustrated by the person who loves The Seven Samurai, but that's as far as they go. If I get turned on by an artist, be it in anything, my first thought is to try more. It all boils back to Platonic love, a love I've felt for movies for a long time, and something I never though I'd feel as strongly for other humans until I got married and had a kid. and that's the sense that if you love something, you want to explore it until exhaustion. Most people don't love movies that way. Most people don't love that way. And as Jonathan Rhys-Meyers sums up brilliantly at the end of the criminally underrated Ride with the Devil "It ain't right and it ain't wrong - it just is."